One Day Tour to Experience the Culture & History of Veracruz's State Capital
Less than 2 hours from the port city of Veracruz, you will find the capital city of the state of Veracruz. Xalapa (or Jalapa) is situated at a higher elevation on a series of hills with the Sierra Madre Mountains looming in the distance. This city is rich in culture with art galleries, interesting small shops, many parks, is the home to the University of Veracruz, and also the very modern Anthropology Museum. Just east of the city, you will find the Hacienda El Lencero. At one time, the famous General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna (Remember The Alamo) lived here. There you will find a beautifully restored home complete with many pieces of antique furniture which were brought over from Europe, a chapel, and well-maintained gardens complete with a reflecting pool.
- Private Pickup at your Hotel in the City of Veracruz or Boca del Rio
- Private English/Spanish Speaking Local Tour Guide
- See the Beautiful Hacienda El Lencero
- Guided Tour the Anthropology Museum in Xalapa
- Visit the Metopolitan Cathedral, Iglesia del Dique, and the Pinacotec Diego Rivera Art Gallery
- Enjoy the Scenic Views from Macuiltepec Park in Xalapa
You will be picked up in the morning at your hotel in Veracruz by one of our local English/Spanish speaking guides and then travel to visit the beautiful estate know as, Hacienda El Lencero where you will find almost 500 years of history. You will visit the main mansion, the gardens, and the chapel which Santa Anna constructed for his wedding.
Next, your group will travel to learn the ancient history of this area at the modern Xalapa Anthropology Museum. Here you will find the largest collection of artifacts from the people who lived in the Mexican gulf coast regions. Represented are the Olmec, Totonac, and Huasteca cultures. One of the main attractions on display are the huge Olmec stone heads. Your bilingual guide will be with you to interpret what you are seeing.
Next up is lunch at a typical local restaurant (not included). Later, you will visit the Metropolitan Cathedral and the Iglesia del Dique as well as an interesting art gallery called, Pinacoteca Diego Rivera. It is a collection of one of México’s most famous painters.
To conclude your visit to Xalapa, your guide will lead you on a scenic walk in Macuiltepec Park which is located on a huge forested hill situated right in the middle of the city. From the top, you will have an excellent view of the entire city and surrounding area. You will then return to the place where you are staying in the city of Veracruz or Boca del Rio.
1 adult: $195 USD
2 adults: $112 /adult
3-6 adults: $89 /adult
Children 6-11: $35 /child
Note: All trips listed about are in US dollars. Larger groups can be accommodated. Please contact us for special pricing.
Included in Tour FeeIncludes: Pickup at your hotel, local bilingual tour guide, all entrance fees, tour as advertised, all taxes, purified drinking water, dropoff at your hotel
Not Included in Tour FeeNot Included: Lunch, guide tips
What to Bring
- Hat for protection from the tropical sun
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Rain poncho (just in case)
- 48 or more hours prior to trip - 100% refund
- 24-47 hours prior to trip - 50% refund
- 0-24 hours prior to trip - no refund
- Full refund if your tour guide deems it necessary to cancel the trip because of inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances