Waterfalls, Monkeys & Jungle Hiking in the Los Tuxtlas Region
One Day Tour to Hike in the Tropical Rain Forest and Explore Lake Catemaco
You will find tropical rain forests just 3 hours south of the city of Veracruz. The area known as the Los Tuxtlas Region is colored in green, green, and then more green. Dormant cone-shaped volcanic hills, jungle forests, and several large lakes comprise this tropical and tranquil area of Veracruz. The circular lake is approximately 6 miles (9 km) in diameter and has 32 miles (51 km) of shoreline making this body of water one of the largest lakes in all of México. On this exciting day of outdoor adventures, you will find yourself surrounded in rugged rain forest jungles and also on a boat to explore Lake Catemaco.
Group Size: 1-6 adults and children
Hotel Pick-Up: 7:30am
Hotel Drop-Off: approx. 9:30pm
- Private Pickup at your Hotel in Veracruz or Boca del Rio
- Private Local English/Spanish Speaking Guide
- Sightseeing road Trip around Lake Catemaco
- Guided Jungle Hike with a Local Guide
- Time to Swim in the Pools found below Jungle Waterfalls
- Lake Catemaco Boat Ride to See Monkeys in the Wild and many Tropical Birds
- Visit the Lakeside Town of Catemaco
You will be picked up in the morning at your hotel in Veracruz or Boca del Rio by one of our local bilingual (English/Spanish) guides and will travel approximately 3 hours to the town of Catemaco. Your guide will lead you on a walking tour of the central downtown area, including a visit to the Church of the Virgin Carmen.
Then you will continue your journey on the scenic road that circles Lake Catemaco, stopping to take photos along the way. On the far side of the lake you will meet up with a local guide who will be waiting for your group. He will then lead you on an informative 3 hour (approx.) hike through the thick natural rain forest jungle. There is a man-made path in which to walk on. He will teach you about some of the plants and trees you will pass on your hike; especially in regards to some of their healing properties. Along the way, you will pass several waterfalls and are welcome to stop to swim and play in the clear refreshing pool found below each one. After the hike, you will enjoy a nice homemade lunch at the home of one of the local villagers (included).
Later, you will travel back to Catemaco where you will embark on a boat ride in Lake Catemaco to observe some fantastic panoramic views. You will also get great up-close views of tropical birds and will try to spot holler and spider monkeys found on some of the small islands in the lake.
Finally, your tour guide will take you back to your hotel in the city of Veracruz or Boca del Rio.
1 Adult: $320
2 Adults: $179 USD / adult
3-6 Adults: $135 USD / adult
Children 6-11 years old: $45 USD / Child
Included in Tour FeeIncludes: Pickup at your hotel, local bilingual tour guide, specialty guide for the jungle hike, all entrance fees, tour as advertised, purified drinking water, all taxes, dropoff at your hotel
Not Included in Tour FeeNot Included: Guide Tips
What to Bring
- Change of clothes if you go swimming
- Durable walking shoes
- A rain poncho or umbrella (just in case)
- Suntan lotion
- Hat for protection from the tropical sun
- Binoculars (if you have them)
- 48 or more hours prior to trip - 100% refund
- 24-47 hours prior to trip - 50% refund
- 0-24 hours prior to trip - no refund
- Full refund if your tour guide deems it necessary to cancel the trip because of inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances